Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A New Day

Last Night a monumental occurrence took place in our country that should not go without comment from the writers of our world, including me. I'm no pundit, no talking-head, but I certainly feel compelled to share my feelings on this election. I've been an Obama supporter since he began his campaign. I've watched the speeches, not all of them but a fair amount, and when I had an opinion, I wrote to the President-elect--which is the way I always addressed President-elect Obama, and voiced my opinion. People that have known me throughout my life know that I'm not short on opinions, so I was surprised when the campaign called this past August and asked for my resume. I was in school, in the middle of residency, completing my Master's Degree in creative writing. I was so honored and of course I emailed my resume right away. I never officially worked for the campaign. But I still sent opinions, I still sent strategy ideas, and the campaign still made me feel as if they needed me.

Last night I was at Dugans on Flat Shoals Rd in Atlanta, and it felt great to be with people who were all rooting for Obama. When the Breaking News banner came up on the TVs, though we'd been watching since the first results were posted, there was this amazing roar, deafening and powerful beyond measure.
President-elect Barack Obama has won the White House.
Strangers hugged strangers, fists pumped the air, a charge ricocheted through the room. Tears flowed freely from men and women. There was no shame, only pride and joy beyond measure. If you didn't know his name, you heard it then OBAMA, OBAMA. President-elect OBAMA. I stood there, dry-eyed. I didn't want to miss a thing. I wanted to savor the moment, soak it all in so I could tell my future grandchildren. Then my children started calling.

Mom, did you. . .yes, baby. . .Mommy, I voted. . .I know. I love you. . .Mom, I never thought I'd see this day. . .I know. Me either. I love you. My children, 21, 19, 16, now understood the significance of why I took them as toddlers to stand in line with a bag of Cheerios to keep them quiet; the year my son bruised his ACL and he was on crutches and I made him stand in line as I talked about suffrage; the day I made my daughter turn off David somebody to listen to Michelle Obama give her speech to the DNC.

They know it's important because I told them it is. Because I said so. Because they're old enough now to have discernment, because now as they move into adulthood they will take these lessons and one day share them with their children. I cast my vote October 14 for me, and for my mother who died last year. I know she's proud. I'm overjoyed. I know God's will be done.

Just Being Me,

Carmen

2 comments:

Mary Marvella said...

Hey, Carmen! Long time no see!

I'm proud that you backed up your convictions. One of my resolutions is to check my friends' blogs more often. That means you gotta blog more! Hugs and happy 2009

Nicki Salcedo said...

I would love for you to put your thoughts together as a letter to your kids for my friends blog!