Sunday, February 15, 2009

Yes We Can-repost from Harlequin.com

Yes We Can

The politics of our country have always been of interest to me. As a little girl, I remember being at rally’s with my mother, and I would sit under tables with other little girls who looked like me, afro puff balls on the tops of our heads, our eyes wide, our parents with their fists thrust into the air shouting, “I Am Somebody!” So I was especially interested in a young black man named Barack Obama and what his discussion was about when I became aware of him at the DNC four years ago.

Mr. Obama’s speech ignited the nation and caused me and many who didn’t already know him to get to know him. The natural question came to my mind, can he help us?
What I didn’t know was that this very question was being echoed around the world. When Mr. Obama announced his candidacy, I was energized. I was a graduate student, single working mom with two jobs, living my life, but I wanted to help. I couldn’t do much, but that didn’t stop me from donating a dollar here, five dollars there and having an opinion. I emailed the campaign my suggestions and thoughts often. August 7, 2008, I was sitting in my tiny dorm room at Fairleigh Dickinson University doing homework for my MFA degree, and the Obama campaign called and asked for my resume. They were interested in me working for them. I was thrilled! I ultimately did not take any official position with the campaign, the workload of school and work too enormous, but I still worked on the strategy team, and was still part of the steam that made that great engine run.

From election night until this day, I completely understand what the spirit of Yes We Can means. I am not a woman of wealthy means, but it isn’t the depth of wealth in my pockets, but the willingness in my heart to work that matters. Yes We Can embodies the true spirit in all of us who want our Country to change for the better, and are willing to do what is necessary to see that it happens.

I went to Washington for the inauguration of President Obama. The inauguration balls were wonderful, but it was the people-watching that so captivated me. There were languages I didn’t understand, strangers I hugged, tears I cried, people I prayed with, hands I held and shoulders I rubbed. I will never forget what President Barack Obama has done for us, and I have no idea what his legacy will be. I do know that we are just as responsible as he is to ensure his success. He said “. . .The road will not be easy. . .” But I’m asking you, has it ever? From being stolen from Africa to slavery in America, from the Underground Railroad to freedom, from the Great Depression to Civil Rights, from the inauguration of President Barack Obama, January 20, 2009 to God only knows. Help him help us. www.change.gov

Carmen Green

No comments: