Saturday, March 15, 2008

Suddenly Single is born

Yippee Everybody,

My book is in stores now! Suddenly Single has been a book for so long, it went to high school and college and has a degree by now!! Many of you writers know how it is. You get an idea from something you see, hear, smell, taste or interpret and voila, a book is born. That’s what happened to me with SS one day—a hundred years ago. I conceived this idea, and at that time, it wasn’t a Crawford story. But as we grow, so do stories. That’s what happened to Suddenly Single. Trina needed her own story. The Crawford’s are a timeless family that mirrors so many families. They represent all the best of what we’re made of . Togetherness, love, safety, accountability and fellowship. I enjoy them because I’m apart of them. I have five brothers and sisters and eight cousins that grew up in and around us that I can call on anytime day or night. These family members allow me to be funny and irreverent, and we have an amazing time together. Last year was difficult for us. I recall asking the oldest cousin Sonya, who we affectionately call (Saan) if she knew how to cook a turkey. Of course I have no idea. Good grief. I only had to buy it and Mom was the cook. Mom once told me to get the bag and I had no idea what she was talking about. By the time I found it, I was nauseous and she was over me. Anyway, Saan looked me in the eye and assured me that she was there for me any turkey day that I needed. My breathing evened and I felt better. Truly, that’s what family is for. To be honest, I’ll probably never cook a turkey. My sister’s and cousins don’t want me in the kitchen. I’m a vegetarian. But I shop like a Crawford, and in some ways my family is like the Crawford’s because of the love we have for each other. Enjoy Suddenly Single. It will give you the best of what a family is.

JBM,

Carmen

2 comments:

Lisa Dale said...

Carmen,

Huge congrats!! I'll look for you book next time I'm in the bookstore--which is never very long from any given "now."

Best,

Lisa Dale

Lisa Dale said...

Opps! I mean to leave the last comment on the prior post, regarding suddenly single. My mistake!

lisa