Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Helping Haitians

I don't know anyone who wasn't affected by the tragic earthquake in Haiti. I, for one know if my house had been shaken to the ground, and I was fortunate enough to live, I'd stumble around not knowing the first thing about how to live outside. I know a little about first aid, but nothing about how to make water potable, which leaves to eat, or which ones to stay away from. I'd be the first one trying to remember my Camp Fire Girl training--remember them? Riiight. We did way too much singing and not enough wound care. I worked in a doctor's office for four years, and I've seen my share of sad and even unsightly things. I'm not squeamy. I even know how to insert an IV, not that anyone wants me putting anything in their veins. Still, I'm all about saving lives and helping others. So when I read New York Times columnist Deborah Sontag's article, Countless Lost Limbs Alters Lives in Haiti's Ruins, it spoke to my heart. I, like a lot of you have kids, and if your kids were or are anything like mine, they have crutches. My son thought he could fly. Enough said. He had two pairs of crutches. My daughter played basketball and slid into a wall. I know it's a running sport. Years ago I had two foot surgeries. Crutches for us were like Christmas tree ornaments. Needless to say, we used them for the time we needed them, and now they're just dusting up corners. Someone can use them, and when I read Deborah's article it occurred to me that our cast off crutches could be someone elses blessing. So I decided to be proactive and have a Crutches and Cane drive for Haitians. I'd like to collect 500 pairs. The donation sites will be listed tomorrow on my blog, so stay tuned and thank you.

Just Being Me...

No comments: