Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Cure for Writer's Block

A fellow writer recently complained that she had writer's block and couldn't figure out how to overcome it. There are remedies for writer's block and they don't include waiting for muse to strike. It's not that I don't believe in muse. I do. However, Ga Power doesn't believe in muse and they want their money on time. Over the years, I've come up with my own remedy to overcoming my brain freezes.

First, I recognize that sometimes I'm just tired. We all need to rejuvenate and rebuild what's been worn away, and the organ we neglect the most is our brain. We can't see our brain as we do our feet or hands, therefore we take the least care of it. It isn't until our head hurts that we even consider giving ourselves a break. Just as we bathe our skin, clip our fingernails and do whatever is necessary to take care of our eyes, we should also take even better care of our brains.

Second, when overcoming writer's block, you must recognize that it is often because the coffers are bare and must be refilled. I buy magazines and newspapers and read a whole weekend away. If the library allows you to check them out, do so and save yourself some money. I'll hit the Redbox, rent a bunch of dollar movies and immerse myself in stories I didn't catch in theatres.

Finally, I go on a field trip into the malls, stores and coffee shops, and I eavesdrop. Writing is a solitary occupation that keeps us isolated from people. But when you're in your own little world, you miss out on the answers to life. Even if I don't find exactly what I'm looking for, I do open the passageways for free thinking to take place. I can then move past where I'm stuck and go back later, and the answer will be there waiting for me.

There is a cure for writer's block, you have to be willing to go out and find it.

No comments: